Re: ipvs_syncmaster brings cpu to 100%

To: Nishanth Aravamudan <nacc@xxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ipvs_syncmaster brings cpu to 100%
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Luca Maranzano <liuk001@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:44:09 +0200
[trimmed Cc to avoid spamming...]

Ok, just to summarize the long thread from the beginning:

The goal: setting up a Local Director with IPVS with state
synchronization, failover and failback.

The hardware: 1 CPU Intel Xeon 3,4 Ghz - HP DL380G4 on 2 identical boxes

The problems (please note that all kernel versions are *Debian* kernels):
1. Kernel 2.6.8: got a system lock of the standby node when simulating
a failover. The load average as reported from "top" or "w" is always
0.00.

2. Kernel 2.6.11 and Kernel 2.6.12: failover and failback works fine,
but the load average as reported from "top" or "w" is always
systematically at 2.00 or more with both sync thread started
(ipvs_syncmaster and ipvs_syncbackup). Load average from top is 1.00
or mroe with only one thread (i.e. ipvs_syncmaster). Horms reported
that he was not able to reproduce this on a non-Xeon system.

That's all, let me know if you need more info.
Regards,
Luca