Connection state sync daemon

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Connection state sync daemon
From: "Venkatachalam, Saravanakumar" <svenkat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:56:48 +0530
Dear all,

I'm unable to establish the connection state sync between Master and Backup directors.

Here is the scenario:
First of all I had only one Director that is working pretty fine with the following setup:

Floating IPaddress: 10.0.0.1
Director IP address: 10.0.0.10
Real server (1) IP address: 10.0.0.20
Real server (2) IP address: 10.0.0.30

LVS director Setup:

eth0:  10.0.0.10
eth0:0 10.0.0.1

# ipvsadm -L -n
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
 -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  10.0.0.1:23 rr
 -> 10.0.0.20:23            Route   1      0          0
 -> 10.0.0.30:23            Route   1      0          0

With this above setup any telnet connections coming to 10.0.0.1 is being shared between the two real servers.

Now, I tried to introduce a backup director for HA purpose and wanted to sync the current connection states as well.

Here is how I set-up the backup director:

On the master director I started to ipvs daemon:
master#  ipvsadm --start-daemon master --mcast-interface=eth0

On the backup director I assigned the alias and started the ipvs daemon:
backup# ifconfig eth0:0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast 10.0.0.1 up
backup# ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --mcast-interfce=eth0

After doing the above setup, I don't see the connection table getting syncronised. 'ipvsadm' command on backup director returns nothing. Also any new connections are going directly to the backup director and not being shared to the real servers.

Is there any specific setup that need to be done on the backup director ? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kernel on all LVS members: 2.4.26
In order to avoid the ARP problem, /etc/sysctl.conf on the real servers are like this:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_announce = 2
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2

Now my only problem is, the active connection sync doesn't happen, I doubt my backup server configuration steps.

Thanks in Advance !

regards,
saravan