FileServer

Subject: FileServer
From: Jan Klopper <janklopper@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:42:01 +0100
Hi,

While i know this isn't really an LVS question, i think you guys might have the best answers since i guess you would all have had this question somewhere down the line.

I currently run a simple-ish webcluster with the following specs:

1x Dl360 2x 1266, 1.5gb ram, 2x 9.1gb 10krpm scsi, raid 1, Mysql server
2x DL360 1x 1ghz, 265mb ram, 1x 18gb 10krpm, LVS director + localnode apache
3x DL360, 1x 1ghz, 265mb ram, 1x 18gb 10krpm, 3x apache

All of the php files on the cluster nodes connect to the mysql server (which is obviously a single point of failure, but can;t really help that right now), and use local storage space to serve files.

Since i just got a massive 12gb's of files to host on my cluster im pretty short on hdd space.

I just decided to buy a new Sun Fire x2100 server, with 2x 200gb sata disks.

Since sata disks offer pretty good troughput speed and since the 2ghz opteron in that thing can handle the 5 nodes easily that sounds like a good choice (especially at only about a thousand euros)

One of my major problems though is that my nodes only have 265mb ram, and the new sun only comes with 512mb ram.

While ram is cheap i hesitate to actually go out and buy a couple of gb's since the machines are rather picky being compaq's.

Would the low amount of ram give me any problems?
And would it make sense to give each node a massive hdd swap partition?

I reccon giving each node a 5gb hdd swap would pretty much mean to keep a local version of the NFS server's data on there local disk thus improving performance, while automatically staying up to date, and automatically flushing files not needed anymore.

Am i right?

Or am i making a mistake here?

With regards
Jan Klopper