RE: IP Update - maybe an arp issue

Subject: RE: IP Update - maybe an arp issue
From: "Tony Spencer" <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:58:30 -0000
Ok lets start again...

2 LVS servers both connected into a on ETH0 Cisco 2924xl which also has our
upstream connection plugged into it. ETH1 of the LVS's are on 192.168.0.x IP
addresses and are connected into a backend Cisco switch.
We have 2 web servers sitting on 192.168.0.x IP addresses also plugged into
the backend switch.

Everything works fine expect when I simulate the LVS service dying on the
primary LVS. Since I'm having to do all this remotely all I can do is drop
the LVS service which kills the heartbeat port. As such the backup LVS can't
connect to the primary LVS on the hearbeat port so assumes it's down. So it
brings up ETH0:1 (VIP) and ETH1:1 (Default GW for the 192.168.0.x subnet).

Locally within the subnet the servers are on it seems to have failed over
ok, web pages can be requested and are served by the backend web servers.
The frontend Cisco switch sees the VIP has moved ports and is now on a
different server.
However our upstream doesn't see the switch over it still thinks the primary
LVS is serving the VIP. I'm guessing this is because the MAC address the VIP
was on is still live (ETH0).

So I expect that the primary LVS has to actually die so that ETH0 is not
visible anymore. Since it wouldn't be visible the MAC address would
disappear from ARP and once the upstreams router sees this change then it
should all work ok. I'm gonna have to go to site to test this though.

My concern is if the LVS service does encounter a fault and dies on the
primary LVS then web requests will still fail since our upstreams router
will still see the MAC address of the primary LVS. And since the last it
knew the VIP was on that MAC address and that MAC address is still reachable
it isn't going to send any requests to the backup LVS.

Tony