Re: HPUX and Direct Routing

Subject: Re: HPUX and Direct Routing
From: Andreas Lundqvist <lvs@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:05:50 +0100
On Thursday 23 March 2006 14:24, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> I hope that's not what the documentation says (let me know
> if it is). HPUX doesn't honor the -noarp flag (or it didn't
> back when we tried it last) in the same way that linux-2.2+
> doesn't.

Regarding the documentation, I did google searches and I guess I found some
old info.

It still doesn't on an physical interface thats already up but on loopback it
never arp's regardless of the -arp/arp switch.

> You can set up an LVS with all the realservers arp'ing and
> it will work as long at the router gets the MAC address of
> the director each time. My first LVS was like this and I
> didn't realise I hadn't solved the arp problem at all. I was
> just lucky.
>
> > Am I missing something?
>
> can't tell.
>
> Can you turn arp'ing back on, show that the router gets the
> MAC address of the realservers, and have the LVS stop
> working?
>
> Joe

I did a tcpdump on the interface when I took up the loopback interface alias
and there wasn't any arp request/broadcast on the interface that carries the
subnet.

Does it matter what netmask/broadcast I use on the loopback alias?
I've seen examples that looks like this:

vip: 10.10.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.10.0.255

On realserver it the looks like this:

10.10.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast 10.10.0.10

But an 255.255.255.255 netmask on HPUX loopback gets an error message so I'm
forced to use my normal netmask.

Do you see any problems with this?

Regards

--