Re: IPVS-DR with VIPs and RIPs on different subnets

Subject: Re: IPVS-DR with VIPs and RIPs on different subnets
From: malcolm <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:23:13 +0100

You should be able to use both scenarios BUT.

The director must have an active interface on the subnet that the RIP is on (because it needs to inform the switch that the dest MAC address has changed.

The RIP must have a default route to the client i.e. via firewall or router (not via the director.)

Just Marc wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to setup IPVS-DR (because of its scalability promise) rather than NAT, when setting up the VIP to be on the same logical subnet as the RIP everything works perfectly.

Now I'm trying exactly the same setup and machines but this time my VIP is an external, Internet routable address and the RIP remains the same, belonging to an internal subnet. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work, the client connecting to the VIP from the outside world gets a TCP reset -- this reset is being sent from the real server. The ldirector machine counts each connection as an InActConn.

Interestingly, if I use netcat to listen on the real server for the VIP address, I get a full TCP connection.

In both of these setups I'm currently only using one real server to simplify things, on the real server the loopback interface is set with the VIP and ARP workarounds are turned on.

I also tried making the RIP be on the same Internet routable subnet that the VIP is on, that also produced the same TCP reset.

As for versions, I'm using kernel 2.6.16 and the latest heartbeat debian unstable package, 2.0.5.

Any help or advice or hints are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!