Re: high number of dropped packets

Subject: Re: high number of dropped packets
From: Jacob Coby <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 11:32:36 -0400
Ryan Leathers wrote:
One idea that comes to mind:

Check your IP tables rules and make sure you are not tossing some of the
new connection requests.  Its not uncommon to stick a rule in that
limits the rate of new connection requests as a simple SYN flood / DoS
prevention measure.  If you are sloppy with this as your traffic load
increases you'd see symptoms like those you described.

I thought of that as well, and the dropped packets are still present with the firewall enabled or disabled.

my guess so far is that the 2.4 kernel doesn't report dropped packets, while the 2.6 one does (see my other email).

--
Jacob Coby