keepalived 1.1.12 on centos 4.2 (and RHE 4)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: keepalived 1.1.12 on centos 4.2 (and RHE 4)
From: Sigey <sigey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 03:33:13 +0500
I was just trying to install KEEPALIVED to monitor and knock of the inacitve servers in my LVS pool.
I am using RHE 4 with the following kernel: 2.6.9-5

As IPVS is built into the kernel, i installed most of the packages using RPMS.
ipvsadm v1.24 2003/06/07 (compiled with popt and IPVS v1.2.0)

I had to spent sometime figuring out why keepalived was not working, initially i used keepalived-1.1.12-1.2.el4.rf which got installed pretty nicely and the VRRP worked fine. But there was a problem, health checkign never worked. I later found out that the RPM package i installed didnt have the IPVS support.

To fix, i grab the latest sources of keepalived - release 1.1.12.
Tried to compile this - unfortunately it gave me this error.

configure WARNING keepalived will be built without LVS support. Now i do have the kernel dev packages install, i know i have IPVS. And it even complained this: checking for kernel version... 2.4.20 :) nice huh!!!

Apparently the configure scripts were lookign at this location /usr/src/linux . and my RHE have the neccessary files in /usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-5.EL-xxx.

I am too lazy to modify the configure scripts, so i create a sym link :) ln -s /usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-5.EL-i686/ /usr/src/linux. Run the keepalived configure script and viola i got keepalived with IPVS support :)

Just too easy fix!!!!