Re: patches to the main kernel tree?

Subject: Re: patches to the main kernel tree?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 05:58:01 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Siim Põder wrote:

Hi.

I ran into trouble with LVS today (LVS+NAT) and thanks to the list

it's in the HOWTO too.

I found out there was a patch (LVS-NAT source routing patch) that would make it all work out. Of course I can add the patch (and propably will have to),

it's probably simplest to just apply Julian's nfct patches.

but I was just curious wether there is an effort to merge the patch to the main kernel tree (especially as there doesn't seem to be any controversy with the patch)?

we're working on it. Horms is the main person fixing up the kernel and he does it only in his spare time.

There's a lot of undigested code around that the works for the authors. However the person submitting it to the kernel has to vouch for it. This means he has to understand the problem, understand what's fixed (and not fixed), understand the code, make sure the code has the correct style for the kernel, and *test* it. It's the difference between knowing how much you earned last year and submitting a tax form that won't result in a letter from the IRS. You don't want to submit code that any one of 100 people won't like for whatever reason.

So there's a bit of work between someone sending in a piece of code that works for them and code that goes in the kernel.