Re: Servers appear to freeze once secondary servers come up...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Servers appear to freeze once secondary servers come up...
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:36:12 -0700
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 11:02:17AM -0600, Dan Brown wrote:

>The heartbeat is working ok, talking to each other and reporting no
>problems, as is the ldirector only running on one server at a time.  I can
>have one machine running heartbeat and the other not however and the problem
>still happens.
>If I disable the interface (eth0) of one server, the problem goes away.
>I had thought initially this was related to the problem of http and ftp on
>the same server (which I've seen mentioned a couple of times on the mailing
>list but can't find much of anything on) but when running on only one
>director and webserver the http and ftp services coexist on the same server
>(along with ldirectord and heartbeat) quite well. The IP with ftp does not
>also run http on it.

Heartbeat typically brings up the virtual IP when it starts a service
that uses it, and brings down the virtual IP after it stops a service.
It sounds like the two heartbeats are having one or more of the
following potential problems:
1) can't talk to each other (split brain) so both think the other is
dead, and both bring up IP's.
2) your interfaces are configured to start at boot time instead of being
controlled by heartbeat
3) some previous instance of heartbeat didn't shut down virtual
interfaces properly (but it sounds like you've rebooted since then).

If you're trying to run the same virtual IP on two different machines at
the same time, it won't work, you'll see what you're seeing now.

>When both servers are running heartbeat and have their public interfaces up
>(and are freezing on site loads), an "ipvsadm -lcn" shows many connection
>starts (SYN_RECV), but little to no established connections, idled out
>connections, closed, or waiting connections.
>/var/log/ha-log and /var/log/ha-debug show no apparent problems (but I'll
>post them if it will help).  Neither does ldirectord.log
>So where do I start looking to see why the servers do not appear to be
>responding to requests?

What is the mac address for the ip's in question at the router/firewall?
Which physical machine does that correspond to?

Post your heartbeat config and your ldirector config for both machines
(ideally, they are identical between the two machines).  Also, make sure
that each machine can resolve and speak to each other.  Also, which
version of heartbeat and which version of ldirector would be helpful.
--
Regards...              Todd
when you shoot yourself in the foot, just because you are so neurally