Re: LVS / NAT with MON hanging after some days

Subject: Re: LVS / NAT with MON hanging after some days
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 04:41:57 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Grames, Gernot wrote:

I have configured a LVS/NAT with mon on 2 directors (Major and Backup).

what is mon monitoring on the director? (I've only used mon on the realservers to monitor services.)

Behind the director i have 4 clients running.

4 realservers?

The lvs with the nat and the mon is working perfectly for some time.
After around 5 or 6 days (i have it seen also one time after one day)
the server (director) freezes completly.

keyboard at the console does nothing?

I made some scripts (cron) to write logfiles with the info of the
running process, memory and hard disc space.
But there i cannot find a special behavior.

usually when something dies hard, there's nothing to write to log files.

I can`t also say if the ipvs is the problem or the mon??

Is there a possibility to debug these things?

The mon scripts are quite simple, which means that there's not much to go wrong. The alert is a little complicated, but there's nothing there that can cause a freeze - none of it is kernel code. You should be able to send anything to ip_vs
vi the sysctl/ipvsadm and not freeze the machine.

What happens if you run the directors without mon for a while, i.e. you assume that none of the services are going to fail, and you just have one director running (at a time)?