Re: ldirectord not correctly starting after heartbeat upgrade

Subject: Re: ldirectord not correctly starting after heartbeat upgrade
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:39:49 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Simon Detheridge wrote:

After solving my previous problem on my backup director, I then proceeded to upgrade my primary director (which was working fine) from heartbeat 1.2.3 to 1.2.5.

You upgraded a working machine! (slaps forehead) :-)

All my configuration files remain the same. However, upon restarting heartbeat, ldirectord does not appear to set up my tunnels properly. It seems to hang, or something.

You might have to wait till Horms appears on the list (he's been quiet for a couple of weeks now, and don't know when he'll reappear).

Here is what ipvsadm says on the working box:

# ipvsadm -Ln
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
-> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  10.32.32.17:80 wlc
-> 127.0.0.1:80                 Local   1      0          0
TCP  10.32.32.15:80 wlc
-> 10.0.0.100:80                Tunnel  50     0          0
-> 10.0.0.101:80                Tunnel  50     0          0
TCP  10.32.32.17:443 wlc
-> 127.0.0.1:443                Local   1      0          0
TCP  10.32.32.15:443 wlc
-> 10.0.0.101:443               Tunnel  50     0          0
-> 10.0.0.100:443               Tunnel  50     0          0

10.32.32.17 is supposed to be like that

you don't have entries for http, https in /etc/services?

Now... when the newly upgraded box is first started, shows nothing set up (as expected):
# ipvsadm
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
-> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn

After starting heartbeat however, it shows the following:

# ipvsadm
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
-> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  10.32.32.17:www wlc
-> localhost:www                Local   1      0          0
TCP  10.32.32.15:www wlc
TCP  10.32.32.17:https wlc
TCP  10.32.32.15:https wlc

It seems to get stuck at this point. When I stop heartbeat, it does not return to the blank initial state, ipvsadm still shows the output directly above.

I don't know, I haven't used ldirectord in years, so I can only suggest routine debugging steps.

o Does ldirectord use an ipvsadm.sav file? Is it OK?

o try running the init scripts with

#sh -x scriptname start >foo.out

and compare the outputs. I expect you know all this already.