Re: Problem to have a routeur/firewall and a Load balancer(ipvs) on the

To: Damien 'zaide' Desmarets <list@xxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>, Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problem to have a routeur/firewall and a Load balancer(ipvs) on the same server
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:11:13 +0100
The only reason i found is that router/lb has also the IP of the lb and
for him the response can't be send by someone else than him, a tcp stack
/connection tracking problem in some sort.
If you use the director as default gateway for your RS in LVS-DR mode,
you need to patch your kernel with the shared forward patch, to be found
here:

http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/forward_shared-2.6.17-2.diff

Please report back if that works for you or not.
Effectively that work fine on a 2.6.18.
Thanks.

Should this be merged. I'm happy to try and push it in if it should
be in the main tree.

Among other things not to be shared here in public, I had the exact same thought in the shower this morning :). It renders life so much easier for people, because the whole triangulation or asymmetric forwarding is just a tad bit too unusual for most people to care enough. And setting up a load balancer for a project is most of the time just a nitty-gritty and highly technical part of the whole process. Who wants to spend 80% of the budget for 20% of the project? At least that's what I've been confronted with in projects where IPVS was in discussion, as one of the technologies to be used.

Regarding the political point of view: I'm not sure if Julian wants to step up again against the whole netdev-crew for yet another "special" feature that no one else in the networking world needs. Although, it would be Horms' call after all.

Regarding the technical point of view: That patch is very non-intrusive and only adds one branch (could even be marked unlikely()) to the FIB frontend and this is certainly acceptable.

Julian, do you have any technical reasons that would warrant a veto to the inclusion of your forward shared patch into the main linux kernel? The time would be good now to push it to DaveM for 2.6.20, I believe.

<sidenote>
On a more promotional side, I'd like to mention that we should focus on getting IPVS into a shape of a very well documented piece of framework, that is easy integrable into an existing project. Forward shared is one piece of the puzzle in my humble opinion, using VRRP is another. Most commercial load balancers these days are not set up anymore using the triangulation mode (at least in the projects I've been involved), it's becoming more and more a router using well-understood key technologies like VRRP and content processing. And after almost 10 years of my involvement with load balancers I have to admit that no customer _ever_ truly asked or cared about the scheduling algorithm :). This is academia for the rest of the world.
</sidenote>

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc