LVS/NAT and LVS/TUN in same virtual service

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS/NAT and LVS/TUN in same virtual service
From: Richard Seabrook <richard.seabrook@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:16:42 +0000
Hello,

I think the answer's going to be no, however is it possible to mix LVS/NAT and LVS/TUN within the same virtual service? For example, to have <VIP>:80 served by both NAT and TUN real servers?

I'm putting together a proof of concept for global load balancing, using multiple, geographically dispersed directors with IP Anycast.

My ultimate aim is to have each director with a VIP that has both local (NAT) and remote (TUN) real servers. Real servers may be located anywhere, including at director sites.

As an alternative, can you "chain" LVS virtual services? What I mean by that is could I have one TUN-based VIP for the geographic part of the above, which then includes NAT-based VIPs at each site for the local balancing?

Would it then be a bad idea to use TUN when the related NAT VIP might very well be on the same machine?

Thanks for any help you can give and sorry for rambling ;)

Regards,
--
Richard Seabrook
Areti Internet Ltd., http://www.areti.net/