Re: arp_ignore

To: Mag2589 Walla <mag2589@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: arp_ignore
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:17:10 +0900
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 03:42:05PM -0500, Mag2589 Walla wrote:
> I have a quick question.
> On my realservers I have them set up to listen to the virtual address
> on eth0:0 I need them to respond to arp on eth0 but I need them to
> ignore it on eth0:0 To do this would I enter the following line in my
> /etc/sysctl.conf file?
>
> net.ipv4.conf.eth0:0.arp_ignore = 8

In a word: No

arp_ignore works only on physical interfaces. The old eth0:0 notation is
a hang-over from the days of ip aliases, where in a round-about way you
could establish virtual interfaces (sort of). These days an interface
can have 0 or more addresses.  The arp_ignore scemantics apply to such
addresses.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do (I understand what you
describe, but I'm not sure why you want to do that, and there
may be a simple solution to your problem), but if you really
need fine-grained arp control, take a look at arptables, which is
kind of like iptables for arp.

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/