Re: SNAT Confusion

Subject: Re: SNAT Confusion
Cc: jkrzyszt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, Rodre Ghorashi-Zadeh wrote:

Hello,

For my application the first request, from the initial client on the internet, comes in as an http request and hits the VIP and gets loadbalanced via LVS-NAT as intended. The second request, from the real server, is an LDAP request that get's sent to an LVS-DR VIP to perform authentication as part of the initial client connection. I need the 2nd layer of load balancing more for high availability than for actual balancing of the load.

So if the realserver is dead, it can't ask the 2nd request?

This is a requirement that I can't get around, therefore I have no choice but to face any dificulties in getting it to work. What are these difficulties?

Also, on a side note, at the risk of sounding like I am critiquing LVS (which I am not, I have been a big fan and user for years and have implemented it over an appliance from a big name 9 times out of 10),

not at all. We are well aware of many of the limitations of LVS. The one's we don't know about, we'd rather hear about here, than pretend they don't exist. The problem is we don't have time to fix them all. As well it would be nice to have a grand overhaul of LVS, but we're not contemplating that either.

I read somewhere that since LVS's inception into the mainstream Kernel that it "sit's on top of the Netfilter framework".

This is mostly true if you're limited to a description of LVS in 8 words or less.

LVS could be pure netfilter, but it would be really slow. LVS packets then do not follow all the netfilter traffic paths and rules. It's conceivable that LVS could mimick (look on the outside) to follow most/all the netfilter rules, but this is the overhaul that hasn't been written.