Re: understanding lvs

Subject: Re: understanding lvs
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:13:02 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, webbezcom wrote:

I have a web hosting business so if I use network address translation do I
need a control panel licenses for all real servers or only the public VIP
address?

I don't know what a "control panel license" is, but you don't need any licenses to run LVS.

Everything can be balanced between real servers not just httpd?

the services that we know to work are in the HOWTO. In principle any single port service can be balanced by LVS.

Are the linux directors actually physically servers?

they are not servers. They are routers with a slightly unusual set of rules. Clients do not connect to services on the director.

If so what server
requirements would I need for the directors?

read the performance section.

What about securities, if one server gets hacked will the hacker have access
to all servers?

quite likely. Read the security section.

Can ultramonkey accommodate third layer topology? Having a central storage
server?

Yes

Ultramonkey is a wrapper around LVS.