Re: Anouncement: ipvsman/d more than a GUI to IPVS

Subject: Re: Anouncement: ipvsman/d more than a GUI to IPVS
From: "Dr. Volker Jaenisch" <volker.jaenisch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 22:50:41 +0200
Hello Manuel!

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
Awesome!!
Thank you very much for this warmly welcome.
I'm a developer of the Pandora Free Monitoring System, ( http://pandora.sf.net ), and I'm currently developing some native modules for PandoraFMS to keep monitorice LVS, most likely in bash.
As I understand from overviewing your wiki-site pandora uses an pull aproach to gets it data from
the modules. Please correct me if I'm talking nonsense ..
If there were a push interface for pandora it shoud be no great deal to program ipvsmand to push events e.g. status changes of the realservers e.g. running-> suspended oder suspended -> running
to pandora.

We are using zabbix and/or nagios to monitor the cluster server machines of our customers. We have never connected ipvsman/d with the monitoring. The reason is, that ipvsman/d knows not enougth of e.g. the web-portals it serves to give a clear answer on the crucial question "Is our portal running?". Imagin the following szenario : The backbone connection of the datacenter dies. In this case ipvsmand will think from its limited perspective that the world is in finest order. So we decided to monitor the reachability of the webportals from different sites in the internet and use this information as trigger in our monitoring software.

But if you go to the point of retrieving performance data e.g. conns per second per realserver or service then a linkage between ipvsmand and a monitoring software could be very fruitfully.

It should be possible to write an interface (text-dump in file, tcp-status-port, xml-rpc, ..) to retrieve status information from the ipvsmand. You will know best what type of interface you like the most for application in pandora
- just tell me.

ipvsmand has much more information on the loadbalancing as the output of ipvsadm you can give. ipvsadm shows only the actual state of the IPVS. ipvsadm knows nothing of an realserver that has been suspended (in terms of ipvsadm : ipvsadm -d -t xxxxx -r yyyyy) one second before you query ipvsadm - it is simply gone without a trace.

ipvsmand knows the desired-configuration of IPVS, the cluster topology and the state changes that have happened. The datastructure of ipvsman/d is objectoriented : Service instances own real server instances which know their state information.
This information can be easily exported.
This project will help me a lot and will give me some tricks, for sure :-)
I'll try to contribute to the ipvsman as much as I can :-)
You are welcome.

Best regards,

Volker

  inqbus it-consulting      +49 ( 341 )  5643800
  Dr.  Volker Jaenisch      http://www.inqbus.de
  Herloßsohnstr.    12      0 4 1 5 5    Leipzig
  N  O  T -  F Ä L L E      +49 ( 170 )  3113748