Re: Customized fallbak page

Subject: Re: Customized fallbak page
From: Gustavo Mateus <gustavo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:13:42 -0300
Hi Volker,

that is what I imagined.
I'll set and ip range for fallbak servers and done!

Thanks

Dr. Volker Jaenisch wrote:
Hi Gustavo!

Gustavo Mateus schrieb:
I have 10 virtual servers (http) running on one director with 5 real servers and a separated fallback server running lighttpd.

I want to customize a fallback server page for each of the 10 web sites running on the virtual servers. The way I imagine it can be done is setting lighttpd to respond to 10 different ips. One ip on the fallback server for every virtual server that I have.

Is there a way to avoid that? I dont know, some way to use virtual hosts and use just one IP for fallback server?
Just to get you right:
* You have 10 say "domains" running on 5 realservers.
* If one domain dies you like to bring up a "sorry-Page" that is individual for every domain.

If these guesses are your intention then you will have to use 10 different IPs on the seperate fallback-Server mapped via the http-daemon to your individual sorry-sites.

The loadbalancing daemon ldirectord, or keepalived, or ipvsmand knows when the last real server of the domain is dead and directs the inkoming IP packets now to the sorry-server IP. But it can not change them to an other URL/domain since this information is encapsulated in the Package HTTP-Protocol content.

If the many IPs itself are your problem (limited number) you may use different Ports on the same IP. But the configuration
overhead will remain the same.

Best Regards,

Volker