Re: [lvs-users] Too much web server logging

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Too much web server logging
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:08:46 +0100
On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 10:02 -0500, isplist@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> How can I exclude the logging from the LVS servers on apache? The constant
> checking for the host is creating VERY large log files.

This is really a question you should be asking on an Apache mailing
list, but anyway...

The easiest thing to do is to create a separate <VirtualHost blah>
definition that simply logs to /dev/null:

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
  ServerName blah.test.domain
  CustomLog /dev/null combined
  ...other directives...
</VirtualHost>

then configure whatever healthcheck/monitor app you're using to query
the virtual host blah.test.domain by hostname - that differs so much
between mon, keepalived and ldirectord that I'll leave that as an
exercise for you.

However, I have to say that even with a check interval of 1 second that
would only give you 86400 lines per day - if you're using LB of any form
I'd expect you to be generating that number of entries per hour, if not
more.

Graeme