Re: [lvs-users] Question About LVS Limits

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Question About LVS Limits
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 04:58:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Joseph Hardeman wrote:

> We have a Director -> Real Server gated setup.

you're running gated on them?

> Has anyone done any stress testing to see how many connections (active
> and inactive) that a Director can handle at a single time per port
> handled? (our Directors are setup on Dell 850's Dual Core CPU, 2G of
> Ram, using Internal Gig Nics)

noone's found the limit yet. People aren't looking real hard
since you can saturate almost any link to the internet with
just a couple of realservers.

> Also is there a limit to how many Real Servers can be behind a Director?

No-one's found it. In the early days someone ran 1024
realservers by putting multiple RIPs on 4 boxes. Not quite
the same thing, but a test at least.

> I have heard that after 20 or so Real Servers LVS Director starts having
> issues

what are they? No-one's talked about them on the mailing
list.

> I am concerned if we get a couple of new contracts and
> our real server count goes from 10 web servers to 80 web servers in a
> very short time span will the LVS Director be able to handle the load of
> several million people connecting via port 80 and 443.

The director is just a router with slightly strange rules.
It's just forwarding packets and all it's concerned with is
bandwidth. I wouldn't expect it to cause any problems
However I don't know of anyone running 80 realservers with
millions of connections.