Re: [lvs-users] keepalived: SSH getting "No route to host"

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] keepalived: SSH getting "No route to host"
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 18:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Gerry Reno wrote:

> Ok, what I've found is that if I set the 'hit_count' high to say 100
> then I can login but the connection dies very quickly (actually it just
> hangs). So I think the limit rule is applying to more than just NEW
> packets. The higher that I set 'hit_count' the longer the connection
> will last. So is there something wrong with the way I've implemented
> this or is this a bug in iptables or the kernel?

Is this your problem? It's the tail (not in the HOWTO yet)
of an off-list exchange from a similar sounding problem. You
can start here

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.filter_rules.html#gratuitous_icmp

Joe

--------------

From: Klaas Jan Wierenga <k.j.wierenga@xxxxxxx>
To: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lvs: off-list: Re: Long sessions through LVS DR
director terminatedbyicmp-host-prohibited (ICMP type 3 code
10)

Hi all,

Not really. It appears to be a netfilter problem because
when I changed my firewall rules (/etc/sysconfig/iptables)
to disable connection tracking, the problem went away.

# Don't do connection tracking on port 80 and 8000 because
sometimes it results in dropped connections due to

ICMP_HOST_UNREACHABLE messages

#-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m state -m tcp --dport 80 --state NEW -j ACCEPT
#-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m state -m tcp --dport 8000 --state NEW -j
ACCEPT -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT -A
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp --dport 8000 -j ACCEPT