Re: [lvs-users] failover and connection threshold

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] failover and connection threshold
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 07:22:04 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Rumen Bogdanovski wrote:

> I am experiencing problems with the LVS master and backup
> daemons. I have 2 directors running both with master and
> backup sync daemons. Failover works fine but the
> connection threshold does not. I mean if I have 2 real
> servers each accepting 3 connections, this means I can
> have 6 connections in total to the cluster, but if I have
> 5 and the master fails, the backup takes over(so far so
> good) but the new director accepts 6 more connections and
> the cluster ends up with 11 connections, if another
> failover occurs soon, 6 more connections will be accepted
> no matter how many were inherited from the failed
> director.

hmm. I'm not familiar with the connection threshhold code.
As well it doesn't get used a whole lot, so it's possible
that there are unnoticed bugs. However the code was written
(I think) by Ratz (unless someone has messed with it since)
and Ratz is unlikely to have let code out without making the
obvious test to check for the problem you see.

Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion for you.

> How can I make the new director know how many connections are inherited?
>
> "ipvsadm -lnc" shows the inherited connections together with the new
> ones, while  "ipvsadm -l" shows only the connections established by the
> current director.

Has the number of connections (and other state info) been
transferred by the synch state demon to the backup director?