Re: [lvs-users] remomendation/advice.

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] remomendation/advice.
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:27:57 +0000
On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 10:56 -0500, rek2 GNU/Linux LO LO LO wrote:
> Because the "howto" gives like 20 solution and 20 third party
> applications that seems to do exactly the same thing..

That's because, in the best traditions of Open Source solutions, there
is no "one way" to do this. I'll recommend one thing, Joe might
recommend another, Horms another, Nigel another, etc etc (names not
changed to protect the guilty!)

> but I need experience talk, not a howto if I wanted a
> "howto"  I wont be in this list asking for advice.

How about you put down a set of specifications and/or criteria to help
us help you?

The question you've asked is vague, to say the least. Do you want:

* Multiple redundant directors (load balancers)?
* Separate webservers, or run them on the director(s)?
* A NAS/SAN or clustered FS, or something more simple?
* To make your MySQL server highly available?
* The whole shebang to be in one location, or spread around?

Do you "own" (ie. have allocated to you) specific IP space that you
control, or will you be using space on another provider's network?

There's a bazillion questions I could ask, but I won't. Simply asking
for a recommendation for a vague concept (which is what you gave) isn't
going to turn out any hard results, I'm afraid.

I'd also suggest that you get some conceptual practice in your lab/test
network by following the basics in the HOWTO until you've got some
rudimentary experience of LVS in practice. Until then, we're likely to
use terminology you may not understand.

Please don't be offended: it's easier for us to help you if you ask
specific questions :)

Graeme