[lvs-users] Please clarify the usages for: ipip, gate, masq

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Please clarify the usages for: ipip, gate, masq
From: "Steven Truong" <midair77@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:21:21 -0800
Hi, all.  I am new to Ultramonkey and have tried to implement
streamline ha lb.    My implementation would be for 2 openldap servers
(acting as directors and real servers) and I am a bit confused about
the usages  of

ldirectord.conf
real=192.168.16.2:389 ????
real=192.168.16.3:389 ????

>From my understanding, in my case, I should have
real=192.168.16.2:389 ipip
real=192.168.16.3:389 ipip

I read the man pages and googled but I could not locate any references
on when to use these parameters.

Please tell us and others what are more appropriate to use in Direct
Routing (ipip ?), NAT (masq??),  IP Tunnel (gate???).  Are my guesses
correct?  Are there any exceptional cases that might not follow the
rules and please explain for newbies like me these cases?

Thank you so much for taking your times.
Steven.