Re: [lvs-users] install ipvsadm

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] install ipvsadm
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:23:21 +0000
Hi

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 12:10 -0500, Charlie Williams wrote:
> Will this also make sure my kernel is correct for running ipvsadm? I was
> hoping that it was so I tried the rpms without patching the kernel (I am a
> linux newb and that sounds like it could potentially break my system) so I
> was trying to avoid it if at all possible.

The stock RH kernels have IPVS support included, and keep the ipvsadm
RPMs they suply in sync with the version provided in the kernel.

In your case, given the lack of experience, I'd strongly recommend
sticking with the vendor can provide - I know it works, because I have
two RHEL clusters at work and they get on just fine.

The only issue you have is that you really, really need to pony up the
cash to RH if you want your system to remain up-to-date (as opposed to
up2date!). If you don't want to, there's always CentOS which is a direct
clone of RHEL.

Graeme