[lvs-users] Questions about getting started with LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Questions about getting started with LVS
From: Rt Ibmer <rtibmx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:36:13 -0700 (PDT)
Hi - I just came across LVS and it looks like a great package. However I am a
total Linux newb (coming over from a decade+ on Windows) and I must admit this
is way way over my head so I'm trying to get my arms around it.  A few
questions if you would be so kind:

For reference I am using Fedora 8 core on i386.

1) According to the LVS web site and changelog it looks like the latest
released LVS software is 3-4 years old.  Am I reading this right? The project
seems very popular so I am thinking there may have been several updates since
2004/2005?  Am I missing something?

2) I have absolutely no idea how to go about getting this installed and up and
running on my Linux box, really.  This is despite having read through the
documentation.

It looks like I am supposed to start by getting "The IP Virtual Server
Netfilter module for kernel 2.6". My my Linux box as root I did wget
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/software/kernel-2.6/ipvsadm-1.24-6.src.rpm to
get this software.

>From there I really had no idea of what to do next. The Compiling ipvsadm on
>different Linux distributions at wiki is talking about RedHat 3 and 4 which no
>longer seem applicable for those on Fedora 8.

Unfortunately this is all just way way over my head. Is there a complete idiots
guide to getting up and running with LVS on Fedora 8?

Thanks so much!

Access, No Cost.