[lvs-users] Newbie Question on Best Practices

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Newbie Question on Best Practices
From: "Sid Stuart" <sid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 17:25:22 -0700
Hi,

We have a very simple configuration. The site needs to load balance one
virtual server port 80 to port 80 on four real servers. Persistent
connections are not required. We are currently setting up our LVS systems
and have questions about the best practices for LVS.

The web servers run CentOS 5.1 and so that release has been installed on the
two LVS systems. Centos 5.1 is not a requirement though. We have already
tried to work with Piranha, but have found several conflicts between it and
SELinux, to the point that SELinux has been turned off. Reviewing the
mailing list, we find that Piranha may not be the best choice for
maintaining LVS.

If you were doing this, what software would you use? Piranha, UltraMonkey or
Keepalived? Would you stay with CentOS 5.1 or back off to an earlier
release? What are the tradeoffs between the various packages? What packet
forwarding mechanism is the most stable? Note that we do not have an
abundance of public IP addresses.

Thanks for the time,
Sid