Re: [lvs-users] Possibly beating a dead horse - IPVS-NAT - 1 Director, 2

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Possibly beating a dead horse - IPVS-NAT - 1 Director, 2 Realservers
From: Thomas Pedoussaut <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 09:00:33 +0100
Memblin wrote:
>  I can get any TCP application to work that I want
> but what we're looking for is a way to load balance
> traffic to our DNS resolvers / caching servers.
>
>  I've seen all over the list where people have had problems
> with DNS and other UDP based applications and LVS.
>
>  The only problem I have is that all DNS queries that
> come in always go to the same real server. I do get an
> answer back at the client but it's not load balanced of course.

Just a few questions:
- what's your LB method ? RR or WRR are the only one working for UDP (no
sessions)

- Can you give us the ouptput of an ipvsadm -ln to check that you
effectively have both weight > 0
(and is 1 realserver located o the same host as the director ?)

- Are you proceeding the tests from different clients from different
networks ? There is server affinity in ipvs to "stick" client to
servers. In the same vein, can you check that there is efectively NO
traffic to the second resolver.

PS: I know some ISP use anycast for deploying farms of DNS resolvers