Re: [lvs-users] Loadbalancer fail over

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Loadbalancer fail over
From: "Serge Fonville" <serge.fonville@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:06:56 +0100
Thanks for the responses.

> There is an alternative, which Malcolm mentioned, called keepalived

(http://www.keepalived.org/). This uses the VRRP protocol to provide IP

failover, manages the LVS for you and provides health checking of your

"real" servers, all in one package.

> Configured correctly, even with a streamlined setup with only two

servers, it is possible using either of these methods to remove the SPOF

associated with a load balancing device.

It seems that keepalived is more powerful but ldirectord+lvs+heartbeat is
more active, so I am not entirely sure which is 'best' suitable.
Keepalived can be configured in an active/active fashion (which still
baffles me a bit) and the 'need' for an equal division of traffic is
probably more of an ideal than an actual need. To reduce chances for split
brain, I have(had) chosen an RS-232 cable and could not determine whether
keepalived supports that, I read the manual, but it's quite old. After this
part is answered I can probably start looking into the specifics of setting
up everything

Thanks a lot everyone!!

Serge Fonville