Re: [lvs-users] looking for people to code up an SSH check [Was: Checkin

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] looking for people to code up an SSH check [Was: Checking SSH with ldirectord.-
From: "Laurentiu C. Badea (L.C.)" <lc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:07:19 -0800
May I suggest taking a look at the Nagios plugins ? They are intended
for the same purpose, and there are many of them. Recent Fedoras come
with each in a separate package so they're easy to install. When they
don't do what we need, they offer a good skeleton to start with.

In particular, the check_http plugin is capable of checking certificates
in addition of downloading a page over https. check_tcp knows SSL.
check_imap and check_smtp can also speak TLS. And so on.

The check_ssh plugin can't actually negotiate certs yet but I don't see
why you couldn't use the ssh *command* for a full end-to-end check.

I would stay away from implementations requiring large interpreters if
smaller ones are available, so they don't end up disabling services when
they accidentally run out of memory. As a matter of fact, I would
strongly suggest to define a particular return code to indicate "failed
service" to distinguish from execution failures, and have a wrapper that
checks for it at least (if not builtin into ldirectord).

--
Laurentiu Badea