Re: [lvs-users] Why do Weights Change by Themselves?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Why do Weights Change by Themselves?
From: Sebastian Vieira <sebvieira@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:50:02 +0100
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Robinson, Eric <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Which brings up another point. I notice that my load balancer computers
> BOTH have the following in rc.local:
>
> /sbin/ipvsadm --start-daemon master
> /sbin/ipvsadm --start-daemon backup
>
> Both daemons are running on both computers. That's contrary to what the
> man page seems to indicate, but then maybe it's correct for a heartbeat
> cluster?

Yeah that's okay to have them both running. Actually it's better this way,
than to have them handled as a heartbeat resource. Let's call your setup
box1 and box2 and on them run master1 + slave1 and master2 + slave2. Now
master1 sends its updates to slave2 and master2 to slave1. If box1 is
active, master2 will send (close to) nothing to slave1.

I always set a different sync id on both master-slave connections, like
this:

box1 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon master --sync-id 50
box1 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --sync-id 51
box2 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon master --sync-id 51
box2 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --sync-id 50

But i'm not sure if that's necessary. It works though :)

regards,

Sebastian