[lvs-users] LVS and stale connections

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS and stale connections
From: Fabio Coatti <cova@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:08:09 +0200
Hi all,
we are using ipvs since years on several production servers and it works just
fine, but now we are facing a weird problem.
I'm unable to find a solution browsing around, so I'm asking for some hints
here.
Basically, the scenario is the following:
5 servers (RIP), balanced with ipvs on linux 2.6.23, DR is used.
All works just fine, but if for some reasons the real servers freezes and need
reboot, ipvs keeps as "alive" all the connections so the balancing is not
correctly done.
say, after reboot a couple (out of five) of servers shows with ipvsadm -L more
than 1000 connections (and all of those are fake, as the Rservers have been
rebooted) and ipvs doesn't pass any new connection until the count lowers
enough and only 3 servers are actually working.
To fix this, I've tried to remove from ipvs real servers, virtual IP, I've also
zeroed the tables but no success: when I reconfigure it all the RIP shows that
all the connections are still there. The situation improves only after the
connection timeout expires (usually 8 hours). If I lower this timeout, only
new connection expires in a shorter time, so this is not a good solution. We
need to keep high timeouts for several reasons (say, databases).
Is there any way to clear this counter (syscalls, proc, whatever) so I can
recover a correct behaviour of the balancer without booting the machine? I can
figure out that it's a situation that ipvs can't handle automtically, but a way
to clear tables should be useful.

If course I'm available for further details.

Many thanks in advance for any answer.