Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT on firewall

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT on firewall
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:17:21 +0100
Hi Jonathan

Apologies for the delayed reply, first of all.

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 18:28 -0400, Jonathan Baxter wrote:
> Looking at the documentation for ipvsadm it seems that in order to run
> ipvsadm
> on a director that is also running a nat-firewall you have to patch the
> kernel with the ipvs_nfct patch.

Well, not exactly, no. I've happily had ip_vs rules and netfilter rules
co-reside on the same director doing LVS-NAT on a number of occasions,
albeit probably not in the same sort of setup as you overall.

> Internet <-> LVS/Firewall/VIP/Router <-> RIP (6 machines)

OK, this is all perfectly sane.

> The Router machine masquerades the RIP machines (real webservers) which are
> on
> a private network and only connect to the outside world through  the Router.
> It has all the firewall rules and is the one on which I want to run ipvsadm.

...and so is this.

> Packets get to RIP machines from Internet via Router, but get blocked on
> their
> way back.

But this part is not. This is something to do with the netfilter rules
getting in the way (obviously).

Can you post an example iptables ruleset, please (generate it using
iptables-save and edit it appropriately)? The way you have the rules
built is stopping the traffic getting back through.

Ta

Graeme