[lvs-users] TCP connection dropping ~7% of the time

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] TCP connection dropping ~7% of the time
From: Jay Faulkner <jay.faulkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:49:17 -0500
Hey guys,

I have an LVS-NAT configuration of two http servers configured with
persistence. These servers are being reverse-proxied to, and so all the
connections are coming from a  single IP. Effectively, we'll have one server
with ~3000 inactive conn, and the other with 0. While this configuration is a
little bit silly, admittedly, it was working fine for a small amount of time.

The problem we're experiencing now is that somewhere between 3% and 7% of all
connections are dropping - same behavior you'd see with an iptables DROP rule
or a missing return route. We aren't seeing the issue when we transition from a
LVS to a direct DNAT to a VIP.

Any ideas?

Jason Faulkner
Linux Engineer, Rackspace Email & Apps