Re: [lvs-users] Trying Hard to Understand the Sync Daemon's Behavior

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Trying Hard to Understand the Sync Daemon's Behavior
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:52:41 +1000
On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 04:50:13PM -0700, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> Okay guys, I run lvs+heartbeat+ldirectord on a pair or clustered load
> balancers (active/passive).
>
> On both the active and passive nodes, I have the following:
>
>       ipvsadm --start-daemon master
>       ipvsadm --start-daemon backup
>
> When I look at connection informationm using 'ipvsadm -Lcn' I see very
> strange behavior:
>
> 1. The passive/backup computer usually has MORE connections than the
> active/master.

That is strange. Are these connections that have never appeared
on the master?

> 2. The backup has DIFFERENT connections than the master. Some match,
> others do not, and there are often connections on one that are not on
> the other. I'm aware that it takes time for the connection details to
> propagate, but I've waited for minutes for connections to expire on the
> backup and they just seem to stay in there forever, even after they have
> been removed from the master.

With regards to not timing out, do you have persistence set?

> 3. A new connection shows up in the master, and moments later it shows
> up in the backup. That's great, but then a couple of minutes later it
> might DISAPPEAR from the backup, even though the client has not
> disconnected and the connection still shows in the master.

It sounds like the connection its timing out on the backup.
This can occur if the connection is idle (or almost idle),
which means the master won't refresh the connection on the backup -
It only does so every 50 packets (iirc).

> I tried changing the configs as follows:
>
> On the Master:
>
>       ipvsadm --start-daemon master --syncid 1
>       ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --syncid 2
>
> On the Slave:
>
>       ipvsadm --start-daemon master --syncid 1
>       ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --syncid 2
>
> I have ALSO tried having only the active load balancer be master and
> only the passive load balancer be backup, but the behavior seems to be
> the same.

At least its consistent :-)