Re: [lvs-users] Why Does ldirectord Require a Full Restart to Change the

To: "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Why Does ldirectord Require a Full Restart to Change the emailalert Status?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:38:36 +1100
On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 08:02:43AM -0800, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> As far as I can tell from reading the perl code, ldirectord does read
> the value of the emailalert directive when the config file is reloaded.
> Yet its behavior does not change. If you comment out the emailalert
> directive, the config file gets automatically reloaded, but ldirectord
> still sends you emails. Does anyone know WHY it ignores this change
> unless you do a full restart?

That is very curious and it does not seem to be the behaviour that
I get when using the most recent version:

http://hg.linux-ha.org/agents/file/5737f981ade0/ldirectord/ldirectord.in

As ldirectord is a self-contained text file, would it be possible for you
to post either the file itself or a diff between it and the version at the
URL above?

Please CC me (so if the list blocks the post for being too big at least
I'll be able to see it).

On the subject of a full restart. Ldirectord really ought to have
a method of being restarted without taking down all the services when
it gracefully exits. But for now it doesn't.

In a pinch you might be able to do the following,
but please test it first:

kill -9 <pid of ldirectord>  # ldirectord won't have a chance to clean-up
/etc/init.d/ldirectord start # ldirectord won't clean-up on start, thats ok