Re: [lvs-users] vip-to-vip connection between two sets of realservers wi

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] vip-to-vip connection between two sets of realservers with one director?
From: Gary Smith <gary.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:33:10 -0700
> All,
>

> Lets say hypothetically I have a director with two vips.  The vips
> represent different services, different areas of responsibility, etc.
> This isn't my actual case, but as an example, they could be a front-end
> web-server and a back-end database server.  But one director for both
> sets of realservers.
>

> For this simple example, lets say that I currently only have one
> realserver for each virtual-server/vip.
>

> I'm doing LVS/NAT.  I would like to have the web-server connect to the
> vip representing the database virtual server and have the connection
> work.  I'm also doing an SNAT rule for each virtual server on the
> director to ensure that outbound traffic from the realservers appear to
> come from the vip of the virtualserver.
>
> It doesn't work of course.  Or I wouldn't be asking - how can I make
> this work?  Ideally, if I could do a PREROUTING SNAT rule, I think I
> could make it work, but iptables says 'no' to that.  I'm wondering if I
> could do some kind of SNAT POSTROUTING rule on the realservers to do
> something special, or if there is a better/different way.

Use different subnets for the different classes of real servers.

Ex:

Data rail: 10.0.1.0/24
Web rail: 10.0.2.0/24

Data server:
        * IP 10.0.1.2/24

Web server:
        * IP 10.0.2.2/24

Director:
        * IP 10.0.1.1/24
        * IP 10.0.2.1/24
        * VIP 10.0.3.10/24 Data
        * VIP 10.0.3.11/24 Web (or the public IP if ipvs is the firewall as
well)

ipvsadm -A t 10.0.3.10:3306 -s wlc
ipvsadm -a t 10.0.3.10:3306 -r 10.0.1.2:3306 -m -we 100
ipvsadm -A t 10.0.3.11:80  -s wlc
ipvsadm -a t 10.0.3.11:80 -r 10.0.2.2:80 -m -we 100

no need to nat/snat at this point.