Re: [lvs-users] question about load balancing smtp

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] question about load balancing smtp
Cc: Bruce Richardson <itsbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michiel van Es <mve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:01:17 +0200

-------- Original Message --------
From: Bruce Richardson <itsbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 04/26/2010 11:49 AM

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 08:03:54PM +0200, Michiel van Es wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to load balance smtp with LVS because I heard that LVS is capable
>> of showing the source ip to the real servers.
>> Is that correct?
>
> Just out of curiosity, why are you load balancing SMTP at all?  In my
> experience, the number of circumstances that absolutely require SMTP
> load balancing/clustering are very rare, given that the protocol has
> fault tolerance and failover built into it.  In fact, load-balancing
> SMTP hosts can actually cause slower deliveries and unpredictable
> behaviour, because it can conflict with the protocol's own resilience
> features.

I know that with DNS and the SMTP protocol load balancing and failover
can be established.
But I want to experience load balancing through a software load balance
setup, a load balancer can balance the load on several algorithms which
a smtp proxy or dns setup doesn't have.
What about outgoing smtp servers for mailing list servers etc?
I understood that LVS is capable of showing the source ip to the real
servers so there are no problems with the protocol's own resilience
features.

> Even where it is needed, I'd prefer smtp proxies over LVS.

Michiel