[lvs-users] High Latency, anyone know why?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] High Latency, anyone know why?
From: William Ottley <williamottley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 11:28:50 -0400
Hello all,
I'm setting up a few webservers, and decided I'd like to start off
with a small LVS.
I have 2 webservers, with a director. (I'll provide info below)
I have set the VS as 192.168.2.100, and the 2 individual RS are: .10 and .15
I have provided a graph showing latency times here:

http://www.pplsnet.com/pplsnetlvs.png

You can see that there is huge latency issues, when I point my Jmeter
tests at the VS.
The tests consist of 300x2 pages "users" at 50 cycles.
I guess I'm a bit confused at what an LVS is to provide, and I'm
hoping someone can shed some light?

I'm thinking that since I have an LVS, with 2 webservers, I should get
double the amount of "users" with minimal "overhead" / latency.
I should be able to send 600x2 pages users to the VS, right without any?

Could anyone make some suggests as to what i should be doing?
Is it the LVS software, or is it just the Centos Distro that needs fine tuning?

If it is the Centos Distro, could anyone point me to a good webserver
tuning page/site?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

here's my info:

[root@lb1 ~]# ipvsadm -L
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  192.168.2.100:http wlc
  -> 192.168.2.10:http            Route   1      0          0
  -> 192.168.2.15:http            Route   1      0          0

-------------------------------------

[root@lb1 ha]# cat lvs.cf
serial_no = 80
primary = 192.168.2.5
service = lvs
backup = 0.0.0.0
heartbeat = 1
heartbeat_port = 539
keepalive = 6
deadtime = 18
network = direct
debug_level = NONE
virtual VS1 {
     active = 1
     address = 192.168.2.100 eth0:1
     vip_nmask = 255.255.255.0
     port = 80
     send = "GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n"
     expect = "HTTP"
     use_regex = 0
     load_monitor = none
     scheduler = wlc
     protocol = tcp
     timeout = 6
     reentry = 15
     quiesce_server = 0
     server ds1 {
         address = 192.168.2.15
         active = 1
         port = 80
         weight = 1
     }
     server web1 {
         address = 192.168.2.10
         active = 1
         port = 80
         weight = 1
     }
}

-------------------------------------

sysctl.conf on 192.168.2.5:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

-------------------------------------
192.168.2.15 AND 192.168.2.10:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_announce = 2
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2

lo:100    Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:192.168.2.100  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

--
Everything that has, did and will happen in your life, exists now,
within you (William Ottley)

Every universe is covered by seven layers — earth, water, fire, air,
sky, the total energy and false ego — each ten times greater than the
previous one. There are innumerable universes besides this one, and
although they are unlimitedly large, they move about like atoms in
You. Therefore You are called unlimited (Bhagavata Purana 6.16.37)