Re: [lvs-users] Samba and LVS

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Samba and LVS
From: "L.S. Keijser" <leon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:56:23 +0200
On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 16:56 +0200, marcus@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have been looking trough the documentation and done exentsive surfing on
> the internet on this topic. Found a couple of how to's but the links where
> broken.
>
> It seems to be split opinions if this actually works or not. Is there
> anyone that load balance samba servers using LVS ? All samba servers are
> connected to a shared LUN(GFS) using iscsi.
>
> All information is appreciated.

I think you will run into locking problems when you loadbalance samba
using LVS. I might be wrong though, but consider:

clientA opens fileA (through LVS) on serverA
serverA locks the file
clientB opens fileA (through LVS) on serverB
serverB doesn't know about the lock and will grant access to clientA
when it shouldn't

Take a look at CTDB: http://ctdb.samba.org

We have an implementation of CTDB using RR DNS, the advised method for
loadbalancing Samba.

Good luck!

Léon