[lvs-users] keepalived - VRRP setup with no master

Subject: [lvs-users] keepalived - VRRP setup with no master
From: campbell mcleay <campbell.mcleay@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 20:17:33 +0100
Hi,

I was interested in setting up LVS-NAT with keepalived for a redundant
setup. All of the documentation recommends one director designated as
master and one as backup. However, I was wondering if there is an
issue having both as backup, the reasons for this configuration being
1) that config can be synced between the two directors, and 2) that if
the master goes down and comes backup, it would not mean that the
master would then take over again. I have read having the same
priority could result in a race condition, but wouldn't this be very
unlikely, since it would require both to come up at exactly the same
time. I have not found any one else with such a setup, and all
documentation says there has to be a master and backup with different
priorities, so I want to be careful that I haven't missed something.
It seems to work ok in practise so far though.

Anyone have any good reasons why this should not be done?

Cheers,

-Cam