Re: [lvs-users] Source-IP based distribution

To: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Source-IP based distribution
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:01:47 +0900
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 09:07:20AM -0700, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Richard Verwayen wrote:
>
> > Hello World!
> >
> > Just fiddling around with ldirectord and IPVS for a setup where a
> > firewall has two interfaces on two different external networks (lets
> > make it 172.16.23.0/24 and 192.168.23.0/24) and is used as a load
> > ballancer for httpd.
> >
> > Right now, we need to distribute the traffic over both lines (DNS Round
> > robin), but I have to be sure that the client needs to end up on the
> > same (internal) server, no matter which external IP is used.
>
> in general, ipvs doesn't guarantee that a client will wind
> up on a particular realserver (except for the source routing
> scheduler, or persistence)
>
> ipvs only affects packets after they've arrived on the
> director and doesn't care which NIC they arrive on. Are both
> NICs advertising the VIP?

Taking a step back, I think that what Richard has here is two different
VIPs that he would like persistence to be common for. This is possible
by using a single fwmark virtual service with persistence.

I don't think its necessary to use the sh scheduler, although
that was my initial reaction when I first read Richard's email.