[lvs-users] lvsd/pulse bugs

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] lvsd/pulse bugs
From: "Fred Clift" <fclift@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 01:10:56 -0400
Hi.  My company is using lvs.  We're actually using RedHat's
pulse/lvsd/piranha.  I know that this list isn't specifically about
pulse and lvsd, but I thought that there might be some interest in what
we're doing.  We've noticed a few issues with pulse and lvsd.  We have
at least one local patch, and plan on making several more.

I cribbed and slightly modified an internal wiki page about our proposed
changes and bugs.

In particular there is at least one verified bug in lvsd (mis-indexed
re-read of config file), some missing features (as the documentation
implies, or is missing - pulse re-reading the config file, doesn't pay
attention to the status of it's child lvsd),  nanny doesn't check it's
arguments carefully and may unexpectedly exit etc.

For a full detailed description of all the issues we've found, and for
our proposed solutions, please see:

http://clift.org/fred/lvs/lvs.html

Are there other known issues with these programs that we might likely
trip over?  In particular are there nanny options that currently are
arguably non-valid parameters (cause immediate nanny exit) - for
example, a timeout of 0 is one.  Are there others?

Anyway, I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on our proposed changes

Thanks.

Fred Clift

fclift@xxxxxxxxx

Verio Inc.

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been
sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If
you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you
are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
permanently delete this message and any attachments. Verio, Inc. makes no
warranty that this email is error or virus free.  Thank you.