[lvs-users] Stopping an real server for upgrade

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Stopping an real server for upgrade
From: Arie Skliarouk <skliarie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:38:08 +0200
Hi,

We have a farm of several apache servers. Sometimes the application needs to
be upgraded. The server must not receive any requests during the upgrade.
For that I simply exclude the server from the loadbalancer.

I noticed that excluding the server from the loadbalancer "hangs" all
pending http requests to the server, thus breaking them. I tried to assign
zero weight to the real server to be upgraded, but the operation only
prevents new IP numbers (we use wlc scheduler) to be assigned to the server,
requests from IP numbers that already were assigned to the real server
continue to arrive to the server.

Is there a way to make loadbalancer to "rehash" it's persistency IP tables
so that new requests from IP numbers assigned to the real server with zero
weight will be forwarded elsewhere?

--
Arie