[lvs-users] syn flood strategies

Subject: [lvs-users] syn flood strategies
From: Willem de Groot <willem@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:47:02 +0100
Hi,

Am a happy ipvs user for many years, but I was recently troubled by a syn
flood that took our redundant LVS-DR directors down (too many eth interrupts
to even use the console). I noticed that
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/docs/defense.html is quite outdated, as
the sysctl variables aren't even in recent kernels anymore. So I wonder if
anyone can refer me to any recent syn flood mitigation strategies. I assume
the secure_tcp and drop_packet functionality has been merged with the
netfilter code, but I couldnt find any relevant info.

In my setup, the default gateway for the 150+ realservers is also the
director. The realservers are on a private network. Apparently, if a
realserver receives a syn packet from a spoofed ip, it will reply six times
in 1 minute. So the flooder has a multiplier of 6, which seems the first
thing to fix. Now I wonder what everyone else out there is using as sane
sys.net.ipv4 parameters, besides the obvious tcp_synack_retries (2?)
and tcp_syncookies ?

Cheers!
Willem