Re: [lvs-users] Differences between ipvsadm and /proc/net/ip_vs

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Differences between ipvsadm and /proc/net/ip_vs
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 13:25:57 +0000
On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 14:09 +0100, David Donchez wrote:
> But which one must i trust for active connections ? I'm working on a
> project, and this difference is very important in my case.
>
> Maybe ipvsadm output add a connection which is not a " real " connection
> from a client ?

Try to remember that "cat /proc/net/ip_vs" and "ipvsadm -Ln" are
practically the same thing, except the latter decodes information into a
more human-readable format.

In your case, one ActiveConn on each of two realservers had gone into
Inactive state (that is, closing down in FIN_WAIT state or similar) and
on the other one ActiveConn has changed to that state, with two other
InActConns fully closing and being removed from the table.

With such low figures, you'll see dramatic differences between stats
with each "snapshot". If you're handling, say, 30000 conns/sec then you
get far less "slippage" when carrying out this exercise.

As to which one to trust: you can probably pull in /proc/net/ip_vs more
quickly and with less overhead than running ipvsadm, but then you'll
have to post-process it. If you run it through ipvsadm, remember to use
the "-x" feature to get real numbers rather than K,M,G aggregates.

Graeme