Re: [lvs-users] Dynamic feedback scheduling?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Dynamic feedback scheduling?
From: "L.S. Keijser" <leon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:55:12 +0200
On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 17:05 +0000, Patrick Schaaf wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:57 -0500, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> > The LVS knowledge base speaks of dynamic feedback scheduling:
> > http://kb.linuxvirtualserver.org/wiki/Dynamic_Feedback_Load_Balancing_Schedu
> > ling
> >
> > But, when I look at the scheduler algorithms available from ipvsadm,
> > there does not seem to be one for the dynamic scheduling.
>
> The page clearly describes that a USER LEVEL "Monitoring Daemon" is
> expected to implement such feedback, adjusting the existing weight value
> of the entries in the kernel, where one or the other of the existing in
> kernel schedulers is used.
>
> The "Examples" section seems to mention two such user level tools which
> might implement such feedback.
>
> Given the age of the page (last modified 2006), I suspect that you won't
> find a well supported current user level daemon doing such a thing out
> of the box.
>
> For keepalived, one of the well supported contemporary user level
> daemons above LVS (and the one I use and know), there is a MISC_CHECK
> checktype which can be used to run an external process checker script,
> and use the exitval of that script for dynamic weight adjustment.
> Search for MISC_CHECK in the keepalived.conf manual page for
> instructions.
>
> best regards
>   Patrick

You might find this interesting (or not). Some time ago i started on
building such a tool:

https://github.com/lkeijser/lvs-cwol

It works for me, but it's not tested in a production environment
though.

Basically you specify the load threshold on the realserver and the
director will change its weight as soon as it exceeds it. Then when it
drops below the threshold, the weight will be restored.

It's written in python and uses XMLRPC for communication. I don't have
much time to further develop it, but i welcome all input/feedback.

regards,

Léon