Re: [lvs-users] New lvs user questions

To: "Ray W. Johnson" <raywjohnson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] New lvs user questions
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:01:51 +0900
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 01:33:46PM -0700, Ray W. Johnson wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> New to the list and to LVS. Just need a bit of insight. Please excuse
> these potential newbie questions.
>
> I read through most of the HOWTO (:-1) specifically on the LVS-DR setup
> (http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-DR.html). I
> think this is the best way to accomplish my goal.
>
> I have 10 servers, all with regular IPs. One will act as director, the
> others as real servers. However, I do not have direct access to them.
> Only via SSH login. So my questions are directly related to remote access.
>
> Is setting up LVS via SSH even possible?
>
> Can all the servers have IP aliases that allow me direct access via SSH?
>
> Can I just use normal/public IPs (and not private 192. IPs)? (note: the
> director will eventually be set to only allow connections from specified
> outside IPs/clients and those connections will have heavy filtering)
>
> Am I missing something critical? :/
>
> Thanks for any info or insight. I will be re-reading the HOWTOs and docs.

Hi Ray,

the answer to all your questions is Yes.

If you are planning to do this without remote access you
will need to be careful that you don't loose network connectivity
- e.g. due to a misconfiguration while setting things up.
For this reason I would suggest using at least one of the
following if possibile.

1) A separate physical NIC for admin
2) Serial console or other lights-out access

If that is not possible you will just need to be super careful.
I would start with a trial run on machines you do have console
access to.